Tuesday, July 31, 2007

An Italian goes to an Irish-Indian Wedding in an Irish castle. And then, after talking a seriously big game, utterly fails to outdrink the Irish.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time for this post. So, I'll post a few pictures and then bore you with some further stories and details at a later date.

Here I am, eating chips while walking in the Irish Countryside. This picture makes it abundantly clear that I should be doing a bit more walking and a lot less chip eating.

This is where the wedding was held. It's called Kinnitty Castle.

A close-up of the castle. A sign on the way up to the castle announces that it has been, "Accepting Visitors since 1208." According to the Discovery Channel, who may or may not be the expert on such matters, it is the most haunted castle in Ireland. Fortunately, after trying to outdrink the Irish, I had other concerns come bed time.


As an aside, the Irish usually celebrate weddings until breakfast the next day. So, while I passed out at 4 am with my suit on and a half-full pint next to my bed. The drinking continued until 6:30 am.


The ceremony was performed by the bride's friend Monica in the courtyard.


Congrats to Kevin and Vaishali.

My dinner salad consisted of a smattering of lettuce, some applesauce, a big slice of bread and an entire wheel of goat cheese. It was the greatest salad I have ever seen.


Darren, who I am staying with, took me out to a local castle that is about ten minutes from Abbeyleix. It was very cool.


Ireland has some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen. And, some of the nicest and most welcoming people I have ever met.





















4 comments:

Halcyon said...

I think that's where they filmed four weddings and a funeral.

Looks fantastic. Has anyone challenged you to a joust?

Anonymous said...

A big hunk of cheese makes everything better. Kinda like bacon. Or deep-frying.

And seriously, trying to out-drink the irish? That's like trying to out-eat the jewish. It's technically possible, but you'll hate yourself afterwards.

Halfmad said...

We called those the Cliffs of Mohair. Fitting, don't you think?

Greg Fioretti said...

Unfortunately, jousting cost extra.