Thursday, August 02, 2007

I Travel West and Climb to the Top of the Cliffs of Moher('s visitor center)

So, since my last post, I left Abbeyleix and made my way to a little village called Doolin (named, I think, after Jess Boone's cat). Doolin is smaller than Abbeyleix and is known for its traditional music scene. It's also a popular destination because of its proximity to the Cliffs of Moher.

The Cliffs of Moher, as the name implies, are stunning cliffs along the west coast of Ireland. They are known for their rugged beauty and for the strong winds that constantly blow along the top of them. I mean, just check out my hair in the pic below. That is some serious wind action.



I take a much deserved drink of water (and embarrass the poor stranger that took this picture) after climbing the 30 steps up from the visitor center.

Every year, visitors climb around the protective railing near the edge of the cliffs and go to the very edge of the cliff. And, every year, a few of them get blown over the side. Fulfilling my role as a dumb American tourist, I carefully and slowly climbed around the railing and joined the dumb Italian and Irish tourists who were already next to the cliff's edge. Then, after getting a quick picture of myself on the edge of the Cliffs, I glanced down and then hurtled back over to the safe side of the railing. I would share the photo with you. But, upon careful review, I've found that, in Ireland, the only thing bigger than the Cliffs of Moher is my belly.


The Cliffs of Moher look way more impressive when I'm not in the way.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not seeing the life-risking photo. Maybe it's a mac thing?

And really, I think you're being unfair by calling yourself a "dumb American tourist." You could also include "Italian" in there, too.

Jessie said...

Ok- first- I just got this link but I'm going to start reading it everyday... Dooley appreciates the shout out- and I've been to the Cliffs of Moher! Gill took me there on my short jaunt to Dublin and Galway. I'm so excited for you by the way!!! have so much fun. and if you haven't already- you need to start convincing foreigners that shotgunning is the best mode of drinking known to man.
the end