Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I reveal the main reason, apart, of course, from the wedding, that I came to Ireland.



So, after all of that talk about Supermarket Meals, let’s take a moment to talk about Supervalue Meals. One of Ireland’s best-kept secrets is called Supermac’s. It’s the Irish version of McDonald’s and it’s delicious. Kevin has a theory that Irish meat and potatoes taste better because the animals and plants are raised (or grown) more organically and with better quality feed. (Basically, their feed is all the grass I’ve taken so many pictures of.) I can’t speak to his theory but I can tell you that the Mighty Mac™ is delicious! I had Supermac’s the only other time I was in Ireland and I never forgot it. So, I was pretty excited when I made it back to Ireland and got to have it again.

Before and after my incredible (and arguably cultural) Mighty Mac™ experience, I spent most of today running errands (including getting even another shot for Africa), while also trying to get a little taste of Dublin. Here, in pics, is a little bit of that day and of Dublin.



The Mighty Mac™ talks a little smack about the Big Mac™. As for me, I just don’t know why anyone would want to compare the two. It’s like trying to compare McDonald’s and Burger King. They’re both amazing – just in their own special ways.



Designwise, the Supermac bathroom has nothing on the French airport bathrooms. However, they could still hold the record for best sink. With these, all you do is put your hands in them. Then, soap automatically squirts on them. Then warm water comes out for about 20 seconds. Then, an air drier comes on. You don’t have to move a muscle. Or, better yet, touch a thing.




I pretend to study so I can blend in at Trinity College. If you’re curious, I’m pretending to study Economics.




Dublin is quite beautiful. Until it rains. And then it is quite wet.


If you’re anything like me, you’re wondering why this majestic spire is cutting through the city. And, if you find out, will you let me know?




In Ireland, elevators that go to underground levels use negative numbers. So, if you’re on the ground floor and you go up 1, it’s 1. And, if you go down a floor to the parking garage, it’s –1. This makes much more sense to me when compared to the American system where you have memorize a complex combination of colors, numbers and, occasionally, fruits. In Ireland, you might be on Parking Level –3. But, in the US you would be on Parking Level ‘Yellow 2D Lime.’



Because Dublin is growing at such an incredible rate, the traffic situation has gotten incredibly bad.

Quick, when you’re about to cross the street, which way do you look first?
After two weeks, I finally got used to looking right instead of left. I have a feeling this is going to cause me some trouble when I get back to the US.

7 comments:

Jessie said...

Did you go see the Book of Kels? That's the studying I did at Trinity College. and I bought a pair of socks there. good times

Anonymous said...

i wonder if the irish have their own version "Supersize This?"

As for the elevators, the pluses and minuses make sense, but I still like to have a color -- the way parking garages are designed, i really never have any idea where I am. It's hard enough navigating those things, even if you do follow the signs.

Traffic in israel is pretty bad, too. But it's not so much the amount of cars as it is the amount of bad drivers.

hcox said...

The spire is the "Millenium Spire". You know so we never forget that we had a year 2000. Every city has something millenium. Exception to the rule, of course, is Cincinnati.

Anonymous said...

^ Not true, hcox!

I think we have a millenium hotel, which has nothing to do with Y2K, as far as I can tell...

Halcyon said...

It's also known as:
the "Stiletto in the Ghetto,"
"the binge syringe,"
"the Rod to God",
the "Erection at the Intersection," and the "Stiffy by the Liffey".
(wikipedia)

It's a replacement for Nelson's Pillar, which was a chubby minaret topped with a statue of Nelson, blown up by the IRA in 1966. Shortly thereafter, pranksters stole the head from a storage locker.

The Nelson in question was Lord Admiral Horatio Nelson, great British Navy Commander, most famous amongst Northlichers for having been preserved in rum after succumbing to battle wounds.

The Millenium Hotel in Cincinnati was named after the song "Millenium" by Robbie Williams.

-Peterson

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud with this one Greg. I'm at work right now and am trying to position my computer so no one can tell that I've done nothing but read your blog for the past 15 minutes.

Cords x said...

Probably like 50 years late, the spire in Dublin is so you can find your way back to O'Connell street from anywhere in Dublin. Its sort of like a fail safe "Don't get lost" mechanism. I'm from Ireland so it might not be obvious to tourists at first but it makes sense seeing as its so enormous.